Image Map

Monday, November 7, 2011

The delights of brown butter and boogieing...

The two are not related, however both have brought me equal pleasure this last week.

This weekend was the first weekend in a very very long time that I went on a road trip without my husband. In other words, this is the first time in a very very long time that I have had complete and utter control over the music in our car...a.k.a. dusting off my dirty dancing sound track. I was driving up the M4 juggling boogieing in my car with driving safely (don't worry, the latter was never impeded!). But don't you love those songs where you can't help but dance? I think everyone should make time in their life to dance...and i'm not talking 'good' dancing...I'm talking about absolutely ridiculous dancing! So...here's a favourite of mine for you to enjoy :)

Now onto more tasty matters...this week I discovered brown butter. Bizarrely, out of everyone I've asked, the only person who had heard of brown butter before was my husband...clearly a man of hidden depths! I have to thank How Sweet It Is for introducing me to this baking delight. Her food always sounds and looks sooo good however this was the first time I had ever made one of her recipes...and I will totally be going back for more as it was so so tasty! It is by far the best cookie recipe I have ever tried. I'll admit that I was a little sceptical as I stood stirring my butter over the hob but all of sudden it transformed into this delicious caramelly-smelling wonder...definately worth that little extra effort.

I have very minorly adapted her recipe due to her measurements being in American cups, the shop not having any toffee chips and, well, I just prefer to have chocolate throughout my cookie!

Brown Butter Chocolate Fudge Cookies


Sorry for the bad picture...something has gone wrong with our camera
and it really doesn't handle natural light very well anymore.

Ingredients:

200g unsalted butter
220g soft brown sugar
100g castor sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, beaten
2tsp vanilla extract
280g plain flour
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt
150g toffee or fudge chips
150g chocolate, cut into chunks

Recipe:

1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C / 325 degrees F and grease a large baking tray.

2. Heat a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the butter. Stir the butter until melted. As the butter melts it will separate into liquid and numerous tiny light-coloured bits. Continue to stir the butter until these bits turn brown. Remove from the heat immediately to ensure the butter does not burn. I found this whole process took about 15 minutes in total.

3. Leave the butter to cool for about 15 minutes. Once cool, add to a bowl along with the sugar. Whisk together until well combined, I was waiting for the mixture to become very smooth, like when you use butter normally, but the mixture does remain fairly granulated.

4. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until combined.

5. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until a dough forms. Finally, add the fudge/toffee chips and chocolate.

6. Roll approx. 2tbsp of dough into a golf-ball sized ball. Place on the baking sheet and slightly flatten it. Leave a couple of inches between the balls as they will significantly spread during baking - approx. 5-6 to a baking tray.

7. Bake for 10-14 minutes. The art of the perfect cookie is to remove them while they still look uncooked. You want them to be slightly golden around the edges but then they really need to be removed. Leave to cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.

And there you have some rather delicious cookies to enjoy...let me know what you think of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...